TCPA (Telephone Consumer Protection Act) protects the privacy rights of individuals by restricting unsolicited text messages.
For-profit organizations must receive “expressed written consent” before sending text messages.
MMA (Mobile Marketing Association) best practices are required by all cell phone carriers for text messaging programs. Section 1.4-9 states that after a mobile number has been added to a list, a confirmation text message must be sent to the subscriber containing the following information:
- Organization name and “Alerts”
- Estimated frequency of messages
- "Message and data rates may apply”
- "Reply HELP" instruction; "Reply STOP" unsubscribe instruction
MobileCause Ensures Organizations are Fully Compliant
All MobileCause text messaging programs have been vetted and approved by all cell phone carriers to ensure that your organization is TCPA and MMA compliant when sending messages.
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) Fact Sheet for Non-Profits
- What is the TCPA subscription message that is sent to my list?
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act 47 U.S.C. § 227 (PDF)