Text to donate keywords make giving with a debit or credit card as easy as possible.
Individuals who text your keyword immediately receive a text message reply with a secure link to a PCI-compliant mobile donation page. With just a few clicks, individuals can make a one-time or recurring gift to your organization. Individuals that do not complete their donation form automatically receive three TCPA-compliant reminder texts to encourage and optimize fulfillment.
We encourage you to set up multiple targeted keywords and segmented giving forms within the same fundraising campaign for highly donor-centric giving experiences to optimize giving potential from your supporters.
Watch this video to get started or scroll below for the written version of the process:
Set Up Text to Donate
On the home page, click Fundraising and select Text to Donate.
If you have existing Text to Donate forms created, you will see a table of them on this page. In this case, to create a new Text to Donate form, click the Create New button on the right.
If this is your first Text to Donate form, then you will be taken to the form creation process, like the Create New button does.
- Name your form
- This is just for your reference for easy viewing and organizing in the Text to Donate Forms list.
- Either type in a new Keyword, or select an existing one to reset and start from scratch.
- For more information about reusing, moving or reassigning a keyword, click here.
- Select an existing Campaign or create a new one.
- NOTE: Campaign is meant to organize real-time reporting. It is also used as the title and text for the link used when a donor shares about your organization to Facebook from the Thank You Page.
- Choose what Shortcode you would like to use: 41444 or 91999.
- The shortcode of your keyword is the phone number that the donor will text your keyword to. We give you two options to choose from. Since all MobileCause customers share the same two shortcodes, keyword possibilities can be limited. This allows there to be two of the same keyword to exist, just on separate shortcodes.
- Link for 'next' button after donation is made is where you would include a link for a donor to be redirected to once they have completed a donation.
- Great links to include here might be a quick thank you video or a link back to your website or Facebook page to learn more or something like a link to a volunteer signup form.
- If you leave this blank, no Next button will show on the Thank You page.
- On the thank you page, you also have the ability to change your Custom Message for Thank You page.
- You can let donors know how their gift will be used, give them a call to action to share to Facebook and or Twitter and to click the Next button for more.
The Online Form is where all donors will be directed to when placing their donations. This is where you will select what information you collect and how the general donor experience will feel. As you edit the donation form, you will see a mobile preview of the changes you make to the right of the accordion dropdown. For details on each section, click the title to have that document open in a new tab.
To see what is the donor mobile experience for text to donate, click on Mobile Experience on the left side of the page. For more information, click here.
For those who have texted the Keyword but not actually completed their donation, they will receive up to three reminders to complete their gift. You can select which Fulfillment Messages you want for this keyword, by checking/unchecking each and clicking Save. For more information, click here.
When you first click on Fundraising Thermometer in the left menu, you will see your blank default thermometer like the one below. To design and customize your thermometer for the event, click here.
Viewing Your Live Fundraising Thermometer
The live version will open in a new window when you click View Fundraising Thermometer below the left menu inside the box titled Display Links. You can also access the Thermometers directly by going to Events > Thermometer. You can enlarge the thermometer page to Full Screen to display or project at your event by clicking anywhere on the page.
Your Fundraising Thermometer During the Event
Once donors text your keyword, a space, the donation amount, another space and their name – their donation will appear on the live thermometer and they will get a text to complete their donation. The link in the text will automatically redirect them to the donation page. On the donation page, the amount pledged appears as the donation amount.
All participants that do not fulfill their pledge receive three reminder texts. These reminders dramatically increase pledge fulfillment.